Detroit News - Michigan Index Detroit News - Michigan Index       TheWolverine.com TheWolverine.com       MGoBlue.com MGoBlue.com       GoBlueWolverine.com GoBlueWolverine.com       Detroit Free Press- Michigan Index Detroit Free Press- Michigan Index
Stadium and Main: If you can dodge a wrench...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

If you can dodge a wrench...

Kate: Do you realize that you have not collected membership fees in 13 months? I'm curious, is it really apathy or do you not have a goal in life?

Peter: I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you do not have one you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell you, it feels phenomenal!
That quote pretty much sums it up. I won’t go as far as my friend Jake has, and claim that I “don’t care” anymore. As I’ve mentioned in the past, I wish I could care less – it’s just not in my genocode to do so. The gods mock me.

However, after enough heartbreaking disappointments to keep ESPN Classic in business for the next three decades, I have stopped getting my hopes up. I am Peter La Fleur. I might predict wins, but I don’t necessarily expect them (unless we're playing Ball State, that is). While many of you spent the Summer at the beach, I spent it anticipatorily moving through the various stages of grief for the impending three to four losses this season. That way, if/when we lose at Notre Dame, I can still enjoy my dinner and watch some quality night games. I did this last year, and it made my weekends much nicer. I’ve come a long way since “the pinnacle of craziness” – the 2001 MSU game (which included, among other things, a full 7-minute “explanation” (read: rant) to some dude on the street who just saw my Michigan t-shirt and wanted to know who won).

There are more important things in life than Michigan Football. Not many, but there are some. So if you find yourself abnormally upset by our team this year, please heed my advice: Expect failure, and you will delight in success. Accept loss, and you shall bask in the glow of victory. It does feel phenomenal.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gorilla said...

I feel similarly but allow me to explain my point of difference. I dread any season where the Wolverines are rated in the top 5, to be honest, even in the top 10 preseason.

This as you realize is most seasons.

But I love the diminished expectations of of being rated under 10, but still be in the top 25 and honestly I think the UofM teams do too.

The 14th team in the country shouldn't win all it's games -- but it should win a lot and it should feel it's the team with something to prove against the higher rated teams.

The unfortunate/fortunate thing is that the Wolverines perform well in this semi-underdog or at least beta dog roll, which immediately thrusts them higher the following year and the cycle continues.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is how I am looking at the upcoming Congressional elections, and how I have looked at pretty much most elections and major sporting events the past few years. Expect failure, and then you can be either prepared for the inevitable, or pleasantly surprised by a win.

Sound advice from the Nickster.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Detroit News - Michigan Index Detroit News - Michigan Index       TheWolverine.com TheWolverine.com       MGoBlue.com MGoBlue.com       GoBlueWolverine.com GoBlueWolverine.com       Detroit Free Press - Michigan Index Detroit Free Press - Michigan Index